27 January 2008

Travels with sticks

I just did a long series of flights (DC -> HI) and am happy to report that I had absolutely no issues or problems with knitting needles in my carry on (I had a pair of metal circulars). In fact, on my last leg of my flight from LAX to IAD, there was a person in my seating row knitting, as well as a lady one row back from me. A pair of the flight attendents stopped their drink cart to see what I was making, and one remarked that she too had some knitting in her carry on that she wanted to work on. =) This was on United, for what it's worth.

My brother and I came up with an amusing knitting project. Today is my brother's birthday—I've been joking for ages about making him a sweater with an image of Mr. T with "Mister Jewelry Man" underneath (a joke from a British comedy called the I.T. Crowd). Instead, I'm going to make a sweater for my fat, lazy cat Early. The back is going to say Mister Jewelry Man, and the front is going to have faux gold chains done in intaglio. He'll probably go totally insane if I try to put a sweater on him, but the amusement will overpower any feelings of sympathy. Heh.

I'm still working on the entrlac scarf. It is really getting super dull, and I am really tired of knitting it. I'll probably cut the scarf a bit short just to be done with it. It's supposed to be about 3 full skeins of Noro silk garden, but I think if it's around 2.5, it'll be good enough.

I cast on for the Luna Moth shawl before I left for Hawai'i (thinking that I'd have time to knit... HA!). I'm using the Peru4Less alpaca yarn that ended up being too thin for the McQueen knock-off sweater. It's a very soft and lovely yarn (and super cheap!), so I think it'll make a very nice wrap. I have a feeling I'll be making a variety of wraps and shawls to use up all the thin-gauge yarns that I have. I will more than likely give one or two away, but I'd like to end up with knitting something for myself every once in a while. ;)

No comments: